Valero Manager QA/QC Lab - Ethanol Plant in LAKOTA, Iowa
Responsible for managing the quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) program for the ethanol plant to ensure maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting policies, goals and objectives of the company.
- Initiates and implements plant QA/QC program based on best practice in the ethanol industry.
- Implements and maintains plant feed safety program based on industry standards.
- Monitors use and inventories of laboratory chemicals and supplies. Initiate re-ordering when necessary.
- Maintains and calibrates laboratory equipment.
- Prepares reports, analyzes data and makes recommendations for improving operation or solving process related problems.
- Samples various points in the process and conducts QA/QC tests as required.
- Supervises QA/QC laboratory technicians.
- Ensures that technicians are adequately trained, equipped and motivated, to ensure that the QA/QC program can be accomplished in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner.
- Communicates regularly with all technicians, both individually and as a group, to ensure consistent implementation of the program.
- Assists with hiring of laboratory personnel.
- Conducts employee performance reviews based on job descriptions to determine competency, knowledge and contribution of the laboratory technicians.
- Maintains and updates operating and training manuals for the QA/QC laboratory. Ensures that all technicians are trained on the most updated version of the operating procedures.
- Reviews plant operations. Monitors production and quality, anticipates and solves problems in a timely manner, and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Initiates and carries out projects that improve efficiency and/or reduce operating costs.
- Maintains adequate records on a daily, weekly and monthly basis of key QA/QC variables.
- Ensures city, county, state, and federal regulations relating to the QA/QC laboratory are met at all times.
- Directs, maintains, and enforces the safety program for the QA/QC laboratory; reviews safety records to uphold standards of maximum safety for all laboratory technicians.
- Coordinates activities with other departments.
- Implements programs and procedures required to ensure laboratory and plant cleanliness.
This position is salaried exempt status, which means you are not eligible for overtime pay.
- Bachelor's degree or higher degree in a related scientific or technical field required.
- Ten years experience in a QA/QC laboratory required.
- Experience with implementing effective QA/QC programs required.
- Experience in a dry-mill ethanol plant preferred.
- Experience with software programs such as Office, LIMS, SAP preferred.
- Experience with environmental testing preferred.
- Experience with local, state, and federal regulators/regulations preferred.
Valero Energy Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is an international manufacturer and marketer of transportation fuels and other petrochemical products. Valero, a Fortune 50 company based in San Antonio, Texas, with approximately 10,000 employees, is an independent petroleum refiner and ethanol producer, and its assets include 15 petroleum refineries with a combined throughput capacity of approximately 3.1 million barrels per day and 14 ethanol plants with a combined production capacity of approximately 1.7 billion gallons per year.
About Valero Renewables – Lakota
Valero Renewables-Lakota is located in Lakota, Iowa, about 30 miles southeast of Fairmont, Minnesota. The bio-refinery sits on 78 acres and started ethanol production in November 2002. The facility uses a dry-grind production method and state-of-the-art technology to maintain industry-leading standards in production, safety, product quality and environmental stewardship. The Lakota plant annually processes nearly 39 million bushels of corn into 110 million gallons of denatured ethanol and 400,000 tons of distillers grains co-products. The bio-refinery has a nameplate capacity of 85 million gallons of ethanol per year and employs approximately 60 full-time personnel.
Valero's employees are the heart of its success, and there is a reason why the company is an employer of choice in the fuels manufacturing and marketing industry. It’s not just the excellent benefits package, or the opportunities for personal growth, it’s also the caring and committed culture of the organization that makes everyone feel like they’re truly part of a team.
Valero is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected status including sexual orientation, gender identity, Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and protected Veterans. *LI-LP1
Primary Location: US-IA-Lakota
Job Posting: May 7, 2019, 12:56:31 PM
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: 190019P